Welcome to the Convener's Corner for Guelph. This page should help conveners see what their tasks are, and how to complete them easily and efficiently. If you have any questions that aren't answered here, or if you are not currently a convener and would like to sign up, feel free to contact us. Thank you for your help!
1. Try to show up 15 to 25 minutes early to set up fields. "Step out" the fields with 1 step being equal to 1 metre. Try to keep the paces consistent. It is best for one person to do all of the pacing so that the fields are approximately the same size. If you measure the field and it ends up right on the soccer goal line, bring it forward 2 steps to avoid injury on soccer posts.
"A" Division fields are 35 metres wide by 64 metres long plus 16 metre-long end zones; half is not marked
"B" and "C" Division fields are 30 metres wide by 60 metres long plus 12 metre-long end zones; mark half at 30 metres
2. Check the field for garbage and any holes where players may get injured. If there is a hole, either fill it with dirt or place a disc over it so that no one gets hurt. Inform team captains of the hole or disc so that all players are aware.
3. Keep the convener's bag visible to all players so they can easily find the first aid kit. In the case of a serious injury, call 911. For non-serious injuries, direct them to Guelph General Hospital, 115 Delhi Street.
4. When blowing the whistle, make sure it is loud and sharp. Store the watch and whistle in the outside pocket of the bag. If another team asks how much time is left, please let them know, as it should not be used to your team’s advantage.
5. Games are played rain or shine (but not during lightning and not if the city closes the fields). Cancelled games are not rescheduled. Always show up to the game even if it's raining as the weather can change very quickly. At the start of the game, the captains are to make the decision to cancel the games. If lightning cancels any game, the rest of the games are also cancelled for the night.
LIGHTNING POLICY: If thunder is heard within 30 seconds of seeing lightning, games will be postponed. All participants must leave the playing area and seek shelter in a building or an automobile. Never stand under trees, in an open field or under an umbrella. Games will resume 15 minutes after the thunder and lightning have moved away. If thunder and lightning are still present 15 minutes after, the game will be cancelled and the score is as it was when the game was stopped.
6. Consumption of alcohol is strictly prohibited. If the league is caught with alcohol at the fields, we could lose our field privileges. Please warn all participants and notify the league convener if a player is found to have alcohol at the field. A player will receive only one warning; the second infraction will result with expulsion from the league without refund.
7. Cleats are allowed, but metal spikes and bare feet are not permitted. Each player must sign a waiver before the first game. If players are added throughout the year, they must sign a waiver before they play, even if they are only playing for one game. Please collect all waivers and submit them to Perpetual Motion the next time you see us. Game sheets should be submitted online using the online score reporter.
8. Play that is rough, overly aggressive, taunting, or un-sportsmanlike (name calling, threats and intimidation) will not be tolerated by Perpetual Motion. If reports of this kind of behavior are received, the following steps will be taken:
i) First report - player or team receives a verbal warning
ii) Second report - player or team receives a second warning verbally and in writing from the league convener.
iii) Third report - player or team is ejected from the league without refund and will not be welcomed back.
PLEASE NOTE: Teams can and will be held responsible for their players' conduct. If someone on your squad is behaving inappropriately, it is YOUR responsibility to keep him or her from doing so. In addition, Perpetual Motion reserves the right to skip steps as outlined above and immediately eject a team or player from the league without refund.
9. Have fun and many thanks; without your help, there would not be a league.